About Me

My photo
I am a missionary from the church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints from Nevada! I love being a missionary and I love being able to meet people in New York. I am serving in the western New York area for two years.

Thursday, July 21, 2011

How do we hold up under the heat?

          In Bath New York today and for the past couple of days it has been pretty hot outside! Walking down the street in my shirt, tie, and suit pants has been nearly unbearable with the sun scorching my skin. I feel weary like I am about to collapse due to heat exhaustion and dehydration as I walk during the day. However; I have been wise and made sure I drank plenty of water before I went outside and that I got the right amount of sleep last night. I also thought it would be smart to protect my skin from the damaging sun rays. I will be able to make it by through these hot days due to my preparation.
            The adversary Satan also has a tendency to try to make us weary and fall victim to his traps and snares. Sometimes it feels like he comes on like a hot day in July! He attacks us with rays of temptation and sin trying not to weary of physical strength, but rather; he tries to break us down spiritually to give in to his temptations. In Lehi's dream he describes these tempting periods like mists of darkness(1 Nephi 12:17). But just as the sun gradually dehydrates us and our body temperature rise, so does Satan gradually work his slippery hands into our lives. At first he appears like a friend who is new and exciting to our carnal nature. But soon we realize that we are caught in a hot day and it might seem like we can't find the shade or any water around. But through Jesus Christ's Atonement we are able to escape the temptations that are all around us even when it might seem nearly impossible.
                         Satan is cunning and we have to prepare ourselves so we are not found in a position of where we are weak. But we must always be prepared through continual prayer and scripture study to strengthen us spiritually and keep us on our toes. We are not dealing with an amateur here, but with a cunning being that has been at this for years and his weapons are just advancing. But it is possible to escape before we find ourselves looking regretfully into the past.


No comments:

Post a Comment